Pages

Monday 3 October 2016

Giving back this Christmas

Ok.. it has just hit October.. surely it's time to talk about Christmas?!

Well the deadline for this years Shoe Box Appeal is nearly a month away so I'm sorry but I have to talk about the big C word!!

This year I have partnered up with my local church to collect Shoe Boxes for elderly people living in poverty abroad. However I am sure there are local homeless charities around else where doing the same thing in this popular time!!

If not.. Samaritans also do a Shoe Box Appeal for Children in poverty abroad. They even tell you where you parcel has been sent to which is a nice touch!
Here is the link to the Samaritans appeal, you can choose what age and what gender you are making your box suitable for. https://www.samaritans-purse.org.uk

I have chosen to do mine for a male. For some reason I think males in poverty just don't get the same amount of compassion and in this case will have a lot less shoe boxes. Plus how much easier are women to buy for then men?! Gift ideas come up so much more naturally with women than men! Maybe cause I am a women.. I know what I would like but anyway, I have included in mine. 

Pens
Notebook - which I think I am going to write a message in on the first page as a nice touch
Tuna
Pasta
Sucky sweets
Flannel
Soap
A Chocolate bar
A Christmas Decoration
Tooth Brush
Toothpaste 
Plasters
And a reusable shopping bag


All these things may seem a bit boring but I am trying to think of basics people will need and maybe can't et hold of or can't get out much to get. The fact these people think someone cares for them in the world is so lovely and imagine watching their reaction opening a box full of gifts just for them. 
We seem to quickly forget other peoples misfortunes when it comes to Christmas time. Sometimes even a elderly widow down your street has no-one to have Christmas dinner with and spends all day on their own - what a sad thought that is?!
Between my Grandad dying and my Grandma going into a home, she had about 8/9 years on her own and though she would come to ours at about 1pm for dinner and stay till night time I would always feel sorry for her waking up on her own. From being a little girl, to being married and then sharing Christmas joy with her young boys - she's ended up waking up completely alone on Christmas morning. What a sad thought. 

Im blabbering a lot now but I just feel so sad for people at Christmas!

Anyway, get involved if you can.. all that cost me about £6/7 from places like home&bargains and B&M etc - which isn't a lot for someone to be feel appreciated and special on Christmas Day. 

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment